frequently asked questions
The licensing exam is waived by using a RMO (Responsible Managing Officer). California Business & Professions Code Sections 7065.1 & 7068.1 allow a new license to be issued to a corporation using the qualifications of the Responsible Managing Officer (RMO). Having ONE person who has passed the licensing test serve as an officer and a license qualifier waives the company’s overall testing requirement.
The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) requires the RMO to directly supervise the company’s construction operations. Simple-to-follow guidelines in the form of a “supervision/mentorship plan” are provided by RMO Agency and will be reviewed upon the introduction of a new Contractor and RMO.
The RMO’s main roles are of a mentor, consultant and supporter of the company’s growth and success. The RMO is not required to perform any hands on construction work.
It usually takes CSLB approximately 3 months to issue a new license with a RMO.
- Recruiting of new contractors and potential RMOs
- Introduction between a new contractor and local RMO with the appropriate license classification
- License application preparation, submission and tracking
- Supervision/mentorship plan – Important guidelines to follow to ensure that the RMO-Contractor relationship is in compliance with State requirements. Following the plan will ensure you are doing this the right way and will be able to keep the new license ACTIVE.
- FREE Online Customer Portal (Shared communication between the contractor and RMO)- Secured location to upload and organize important construction documents in order for the RMO to be up-to-date as required by law (examples of documents to upload: contracts, permits, photos, project updates, etc…)
- Helpful tips, education, reminders, and sample legal contracts to use in construction projects
- RMO Connect – Online community accessible to our members for local networking opportunities
- Ongoing support – We have been in the RMO Placement business since 2006 and will gladly share our knowledge with you!
YES! RMO Agency will assist you with preparing, submitting and tracking your license application with the State. Our applications are hand-delivered at the CSLB window for quicker processing!
Any individual who will be signing agreements on behalf of the licensed company MUST be listed on the license in addition to the RMO.
Each person will be fingerprinted in order to pass a background check with the State. Most past criminal records are accepted as long as a misdemeanor occurred over 3 years ago and a felony over 7 years ago.
Anyone who has gone through the CSLB’s fingerprinting requirement previously will most likely be approved without the need for a new background check.